As the trend towards smaller houses and apartments continues, there are some nifty interior design tricks that you can use to open up the space in your home and make it look and feel larger. One great way to do this is with your wooden floors. Because wood floors provide a number of options, the way you choose to have them installed can provide you with a more open, inviting space.
Five Ways Wooden Floors Can Make Your Room Feel Bigger
Here are five things to keep in mind as you plan for your wooden floors to be installed. These will ensure that your wood floors create as much space as possible:
1. Choose Wider Wooden Planks. Wooden floors laid with wider planks create the illusion of a larger space. This is because the seams between the planks are fewer and farther between. With more seams, the space seems busier and more crowded.
2. Lay the Wood Floors Parallel to the Longest Edge. Wood floors that run horizontal to the longest wall in the room cut the room across like a ladder. Instead, lay the wooden floor boards parallel to the longest wall in the room to draw the eye down the corridor, creating the illusion of an even longer room.
3. A Diagonal Angle Works as Well. If you don’t like the idea of having the wood floors run straight in a line (for whatever reason), you can get a similar effect by laying the planks diagonally. Anything that creates a longer line of sight that draws the eye to the horizon or “vanishing point” in the room will get this effect.
4. Wood Everywhere. Another way to use your wooden floors to make your house seem bigger is to lay the wood all over the house, in every room. This creates a continuous flow that makes the house seem bigger, rather than creating “edges” on the floor as with having one room in tiles, one in linoleum, one in carpet, etc. Instead, the wood floors will create a flowing pattern that goes right through the doors and hallways, making the house seem much, much larger.
5. Choose Colors Wisely. In general, lighter colors with simple grain patterns create the illusion of wider open space. Choose lighter colored wooden floors with uncomplicated grains or if you go with darker colored wood floors, choose a light color for the wall and trim to counterbalance it.
As you can see, there are many ways that wooden floors can create the exact atmosphere you want for your home. Click here Seasalt Wide Oak Boards right now to browse through our selection of the finest wood floors around and turn your house into a home!